Functional Medicine is a system which addresses the underlying causes of disease. It uses a systems oriented approach which looks at adrenal, gut and liver/detox health.
Some key benefits of Functional Medicine include:
- Individualized treatments based on certain lab results
- Addresses the underlying causes of disease
- Assists your body in its own ability to heal
A list of conditions Functional Medicine can help:
- Chronic fatigue
- Auto immune disorders
- Weight gain
- Female hormone imbalances
Who should consider functional medicine?
Have you visited your doctor, been treated and still feel sick? Or are you on medication that is only partially helping or has side effects? That’s when you should consider trying functional medicine, says Dr. Hyman.
Patients with a wide variety of conditions can benefit from a functional medicine approach, including:
- Cardiometabolic conditions – diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease
- Neurological and psychiatric conditions – depression, attention deficit disorder and migraine headaches
- Digestive disorders – irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, chronic pancreatitis, acid reflux and diverticulosis
- Autoimmune diseases – rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and celiac disease
- Skin disorders – psoriasis, acne and eczema
- Hormonal problems – thyroid conditions, chronic fatigue and menopause